AOS upgrade via Nutanix One-Click Upgrade in Prism Element
Objective: The objective will be to show you how to upgrade AOS via Nutanix One-Click Upgrade in prism element. If you have additional questions not answered in this how-to, please leave a comment below and I will do my best to assist you. In addition, refer to Nutanix release notes and upgrade paths listed below.
Purpose: AOS upgrade via Nutanix One-Click Upgrade in Prism Element
Prism Element: https://PRISM_ELEMENT_URL:9440 (lite management tool)
Current AOS version: 5.15.2
Target AOS version: 5.15.3
Upgrade Paths: https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/upgrade-paths
Review Upgrade Paths and release notes prior to the upgrade to ensure your upgrade path is supported by Nutanix.
1. Once you’ve ensured your upgrade path is supported by Nutanix, perform a Health Check (NCC) and ensure Data Resiliency (should be in GREEN and rebuild capacity should display YES) on the cluster before performing any upgrades\updates.
2. Log into Prism Element UI.
3. Ensure Data Resiliency status. You should see the green OK and rebuild capacity available should say YES.
4. Run NCC.
a. To understand more on running Nutanix Consistency Checks, click HERE.
5. Click on the DROP-DOWN ARROW to the right of the HOME tab on the top left of prism element UI.
6. Click on SETTINGS.
7. Select UPGRADE SOFTWARE.
8. Click DOWNLOAD.
9. You will be presented with a pop up to continue with the download. Click YES. (Since I am currently on the LTS release, I will upgrade to an LTS release. To learn more about LTS and STS releases, click HERE.
10. Once the download is completed, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the upgrade button and click UPGRADE NOW (If you click upgrade, the pre-upgrade checks will still run).
11. Once the download is completed, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the upgrade button and click UPGRADE NOW (If you click upgrade now, the pre-upgrade checks will still run).
12. You will receive another popup (Important Upgrade Notifications) recommending you to do the following:
a. Run NCC.
b. Upgrade Prism Central prior to upgrading AOS (If prism central is registered).
13. Click CONTINUE
14. To view the progress of the upgrade, click VIEW DETAILS to see details and subtasks. Each CVM on their respective nodes will reboot for changes to apply successfully.
15. Once the upgrade is successfully completed, you’ll see the following:
16. Ensure Data Resiliency status. You should see the green OK and rebuild capacity available should say YES.
17. Lastly, run NCC checks to ensure there are no errors or failures.